Friday, November 4, 2011

The Pre-Departure Post, Posted Post-Departure

Now presenting: a post that I wrote before leaving the US! How did I get behind on my blog before it even existed?



What I hope to gain from the next 2 years:



- A friend (hmm, that makes it sound like I have no friends now. No further comment)


- Some semblance of direction in my life (can be very vague/general/not permanent. Just any clue would be nice)


- Words (may lose some English ones in the process, that’s ok.)


- Teaching skills (hopefully sooner rather than later)



What I hope to give over the next 2 years:



- Love of the scientific method


- Friendship (to the one friend that I will hopefully make)


- Letters


- Support to other volunteers



You know that game where you imagine you’re stranded on an island, and you have to decide what you want to take with you? That’s what it feels like trying to pack for a 2-year-long trip. You have to figure out what you will need most, before you get there. Luckily, I hate stuff. So it’s easy for me to convince myself I won’t need something, so I don’t have to carry it along. Don’t be surprised if I come home wearing the same clothes I left in (washed after each use, of course). Disclaimer: do not ask me to help you pack for a long trip. My method of packing as little as possible is a little bit too efficient. Sorry Val.



Things I am taking with me, in order of most àleast important:



- Juggling balls


- Letter writing materials, and the addresses of everyone I know


- My collection of nose + moustache glasses


- Deodorant


- A headlamp


- Durable shoes


- A few clothes


- and some other trivial things that I’ll get around to packing eventually



My assignment:



is to teach secondary school biology. In Portuguese. That’s about all I know.



I made it through 80 pages of Harry Potter e o Cálice de Fogo (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) so I am way ahead in my language training, since I already know how to say ‘Quidditch,’ ‘muggle,’ and ‘He Who Must Not Be Named’ in Portuguese.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I am a Potential Peace Corps Volunteer and I have been invited to serve in Mozambique departing September 27, 2012! I'll be part of group 19. Since receiving my invitation I've been creeping on so many Mozambique (Mozambiquen?) blogs and so far I enjoy reading yours the best (as evidenced that I've read your blog in reverse chronological order all the way to the beginning. Hope that's not too weird since I'm a total stranger. I just really like getting an idea of what your experience has been like so far). I'll also be a secondary school biology teacher (twinzies! (just joking)) and I am so stoked.
    I love that you brought pop rocks for your host family. I was contemplating bringing war heads but maybe I should also bring candy that's pleasant throughout the entire tasting experience.
    I also really like that you read Harry Potter in Portuguese. That's what I read to solidify my Spanish and was actually scouring the Internet for a copy in Portuguese the other day.
    Well, I've got to run but thanks for posting such awesome posts. It's really nice to get an idea of what my life could/probably will be like for the next two years. :-)
    -Jennea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jennea! I'm glad it gave you a peek into life here - I spent hours reading blogs before I got here. It's funny to read through someone's entire service in one sitting.

    Feel free to email me if you have any questions, or just to say hi, and I can also give you other people's blogs. steph88hpets@gmail.com

    ~steph

    ReplyDelete