Saturday, November 10, 2012

To Whom it May Concern,


Don’t get me wrong. I will happily stuff my face with granola bars. I downed an entire bag of jelly beans in one day. I have no self control when it comes to peanut butter M&Ms.

But when I reached the bottom of a package I received in the mail and found more than a baker’s dozen of envelopes, each containing a letter from someone I love, I swept all the wrappers aside, stopped looking for another Dove chocolate hidden among the Sudoku puzzles and smiley face stickers, and started reading.

Given my slight aversion to facebook and irrational dread of talking on the phone, I’m a big fan of letters. That pile of paper and words and thoughts was the best box stuffer I have ever encountered. 

Here on this cyber communication forum, which is uncomfortably public but the best way I’ve found to give general updates and display pictures, I write about what I see and learn and do. And yes, it’s all very new and exciting, but truthfully, it can be lonely. It’s comforting to know that the people I think about are also thinking about me.

Peanut butter M&Ms will last for about 8 minutes; letters I will save indefinitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment