Sunday, March 18, 2012

Please, sir, I want some more…water

A day in the life of my water bucket:

5:00am – wake up, stretch, dust off my…my lid (Jiminy Cricket)

5:02 – journey across the street to water pump, put in 20 liters of water (around 5:08, when the sun comes up, it’s too late. There’s suddenly a huge line at the pump)

5:14 – venture back across the street, balanced precariously on owner’s head. Slosh a little bit of water on her clothes just for fun.

5:17 – dump approximately 14 liters of water into the toilet to flush it. Think for a second about how if the toilet were a latrine, you would only need to carry half as much water. Then remember that latrines have cockroaches in them and walking outside in the dark in the rain to pee is not fun, and be thankful it’s an indoor toilet.

5:45 – bucket bath! With a little practice and the right pouring technique, you’ll almost feel like you’re standing under the Niagra setting in the shower. Not really.

6:04 – donate 3 liters to water filter for drinking water

6:47 – brush teeth

11:00 – boil some water to start cooking lunch (and dinner too, if you anticipate not feeling like lighting the charcoal 2 times in one day)

12:00 – get more water now if needed. Hardly anyone will be at the pump because it’s the hottest part of the day

5:55 – wash dishes before it gets dark

8:22 – if particularly dirty, another bucket bath. cold water, as usual (during training, my host family spoiled me by heating my water for me. None of that here! I always feel more alive, alert, awake and enthusiastic (thanks Mike) after a cold shower anyway). Get lots of rest for another busy day - if you're a water bucket, it's a rough life!

No comments:

Post a Comment