Monday, March 25, 2013

Why I was actually kidding about the previous post


You know my love-hate relationship with the internet. And my minimalist tendencies. But here’s why I appreciate electricity more than I ever have:

-          At night, you can just flick a switch and have visibility for more than a 2-foot sphere around you
-          Machines are fast and easy. Washing machines, toasters, electric kettles, fans, cell phones with full batteries, shrink wrapping machines... Sure, we can live without them. But it’s so much easier, more comfortable and time-saving to live with them.
-          You can write a lesson plan after 6 pm without straining your eyes
-          The afternoon session of school could actually go until 5:30 pm like it’s supposed to, even in the winter when it gets dark as you are beginning your last class
-          Your hands don’t turn black with charcoal dust every time you want to drink tea
-          You can turn the stove on “low” and let something simmer, instead of burning everything (charcoal is hard to turn on low)
-          You can calculate your grades for 300 students with just a few clicks on Excel
-          Worksheets and tests can be printed and photocopied for students, instead of every student copying it off the board
-          When you don’t feel like being social, you can stay in your house and watch 15 episodes of New Girl in a row


So, try it sometimes, and you can decide for yourself how you would rather live. In summary, here’s how I really feel – the following 3 sentences were written by the same person (me), on 3 separate occasions:

“I’ll be able to say I didn’t have electricity for 2 years!”
“Having no electricity is annoying sometimes.”
“WHY IS THERE NO ELECTRICITY IN MY HOUSE?!?”

Clearly, I have mixed feelings about the issue.

2 comments:

  1. It appears that you've now outdone the "I grew up without television" comment! And shrink wrap machines are quite lovely. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on your blog. Gosh, you are so funny. See you soon?

    ReplyDelete