Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Library Project



This is Lavinia.
She is 13 years old, and has never met Curious George, the Cat in the Hat, or Clifford.
Please help me introduce her to them.


What I Am Doing

As a Peace Corps Education Volunteer in Nauela, Mozambique, I spend my days scribbling vocabulary on a chalkboard, singing repeat-after-me songs, and teaching students how to pronounce “Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.” When I am not in the classroom, I’m making sure the girls’ soccer team gets its allotted time on the field, helping students prepare a new issue of The Daily Macarena, or trying not to burn my rice and beans.

Not one of our 1,015 high school students has the childhood memories I do of being surrounded by shelves of books, then picking out a stack to borrow and take home. This is why three Mozambican teachers and I are building a library.

As one of my students, just learning English, wrote, “Every time you are intelligent, your knowledge will be large.” Reading is one of the best ways to expand your knowledge – we want to give curious kids the opportunity to experience these other worlds!



How You Can Help

Our students have already helped by starting to make the mud-bricks for the library walls, but we need some financial assistance with the rest of the structure.

To make a donation, just go to the link below by clicking on the words "Curious George" and enter the amount you would like to donate in the contribution box under “project details,” then follow the instructions. It’s quick, easy, and encourages reading and learning – and is tax deductible!


Here’s an idea of what your donation can do:

One brick: $0.10
9th grade biology textbook: $6.00
30-lb bag of cement: $17.00
Door: $50.00
Solar panel: $180.00
School full of smiling faces: Priceless. (just kidding, it’s actually $4,840.00)



Thank you from the students of Nauela!

No comments:

Post a Comment