Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Does it quack?

I spent last week walking to students' houses and meeting their families: tough-footed grannies, smiling ti-tias and gaggles of toddling mini-neighbors gushed over me, prepared lunch for me, and insisted that I take home corn, tomatoes, rice, bananas, cassava, beans, peanuts, eggs, a chicken and a duck.

Egas and his mother and brother
("wait, did the food get in the picture?")

Antonieta, above, and her grandmother and niece, right



Sergio and his dad and other assorted family members

Elsa (above) and many, many children (below)









Belito (not that Belito), his parents and sister

Marcia and her grandparents

Marcia, just a normal walk to school...for 2 hours, across
multiple rivers.

Veronica and her aunties

Franco and his adult caretaker (not sure what
the exact family relation is), near the house
he just built for himself and his little brother.
I walked and walked and walked and talked and walked and ate and walked and walked and missed some meetings and practices because these kids have to walk so far to get to school. But it was worth it.

And, alas, I now have a duck. I have yet to hear it quack.

No comments:

Post a Comment