Friday, May 3, 2013

Chickens and Spiders and Goats, Oh My!

You may be wondering what type of animals we run into in our daily lives here in Nauela. Don't worry, this is a perfectly normal question. People who live in Nauela are wondering the same thing about your daily life. Scroll down the page for a virtual safari - real photos of exotic animals you may have never seen before!

Chickens - Technically birds, but fly very awkwardly and only when they're trying to run away from someone trying to eat them. They really do cross the road, but probably wouldn't know why if you asked one - their brains are not very big. Photo credit to Steph Hay.




Goats - When you're taking your goats for a walk, you need to put only the mother on a leash, and all her kids will follow. They're stubborn when they find a nice juicy patch of grass, and, as Dan demonstrates below, don't particularly like when you take a ride on their backs.



Pigs - Black, not pink. Tails are wavy, not quite curly. They wander into everyone's yards and make grunting noises while eating the garbage.



Lizards - If you see something scurrying up the wall of your room and leaving small black droppings everywhere, just leave it alone and be glad that it's eating your mosquitoes.


Canines -  Usually the dogs are not this cute, but they are numerous and wandering around all of Mozambique, like squirrels but bigger and scarier when they get into fights. This mini one that I'm holding below is the puppy of Sam's dog. When it was born, he didn't even know she had been pregnant. 


Spiders - Sometimes there are small spiders. Sometimes there are giant spiders. Please let me know if you can identify the one below, and if I have to worry about my state of health when I'm around it.



Creepy Crawlies - I actually find bugs interesting from a scientific standpoint, but I don't like when they're inside my mosquito net. Luckily, I have only seen ones like the creature below outside my mosquito net.


Scorpions - Actually not very common, I just wanted to include this one because I have a picture of it. I've only seen 4 in the past year and a half. Two of them I found when I was in an outdoor shower, on separate occasions, as they walked across my feet, looking sudsy and miserable.



No comments:

Post a Comment