Saturday, November 30, 2013

Benefits of Nosy Neighbors #2

I found myself in the bathroom yet again (seems to be a recurring theme, doesn’t it?), this time to take a bucket bath (something that should be recurring). The front door of my house was wide open, as it always is. In this community, it would be unfathomably rude to close the door while I was in the house, unless it’s bedtime.

Anyway, I had already sudsed up when I perceived – I wasn’t sure if I had actually seen it – a dark form move past a gaping hole in the door. My heart jumped. Do I calmly finish my bath, or put my towel on and investigate – and risk confronting a burglar in just my towel? Captain Underpants would have known what to do, but crime scenes in Mozambique are not his priority.

Snippets of my neighbors’ conversation floated into my bucketbathroom.

“murmur murmur went into the house!”

“mumble murmur tee hee”

“she’s taking a bath murmur”

“WHAT?” I yelled from my non-vantage point.

“A chicken just walked into your house!”

I saw a colorful form briefly flash through all the holes in my door, not just the ones low to the ground like the first shadow. I heard a small scuffle and then a loud, protesting squawking. The colors went by my door again, in the other direction, and the squawking diminished in volume.


I rinsed off my suds layer in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment