Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Faint But Shimmering Disc-Shaped Puff

Last Sunday I was out of site and staying at a friend’s house several hours away, when she called me outside at around 7pm.

“Steph, come look at this strange thing in the sky!”

High above in the night, there was a big blob that looked like a perfectly round cloud, shining slightly and moving across the sky. Its diameter was about 8 times that of the moon. I’d never seen anything like it before, and neither had she, or anyone across Zambezia who was also outside looking up at that moment, calling family members and yelling for neighbors to run outside.

The faint but shimmering disc-shaped puff continued on its way for about 7 minutes, then distorted and faded away. We went back inside and had dinner and wondered what it meant.


As I was craning my neck, seeing what I had always imagined an exploding star would look like, I thought to myself, “If this is the end of the world, and I die right here standing next to Rosa, it's ok. I’m content.”

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stephanie! I was the same thing too up here in Kenya!! I was at my site mate's house and he ran to get me. We didn't even try to take a picture, just stared. It was beautiful. It all happened so quickly I wondered who else in the world saw it too. Hope all is well at site! :)

    -Deirdre McCormick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a song called "shimmering and shivering" that feels a lot like this post. it's kind of an end-of-life space reflection.

    glad you are happy.

    ReplyDelete